Monday, April 2, 2012

MRE Monday - Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

This is a continuation of my review on various MREs. Today, the family reviewed the lemon poppy seed pound cake that I bought last August on sale for $1.00. They currently sale for $1.10 to $1.95 each.

Nutritional Information:
Calories from entire package: 300 Calories from fat:130
Total Fat 14g or 22% Daily Value (DV)
Saturated Fat 3g or 15% DV
Trans Fat 2g
Cholesterol 30mg or 10% DV
Sodium 250mg or 10% DV
Total Carbohydrates 40g or 13% DV
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 22g
Protein 3g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 2%
Thiamine 8%
Riboflavin 6%
Niacin 6%
Calcium 6%
Iron 8%
Folic Acid 6%

Expectations: I had the high expectations of my Grandmother's Lemon Pound Cake with the Lemon Powdered Sugar Glaze drizzled over the top.

I'll start using a dollar or coin as a reference piece. It weighs 2.5 ounces.

Reality: The pound cake once opened had a very pleasant smell of lemon. The poppy seeds were mixed throughout the pound cake and it was moist. This is always a good sign. The youngest son came over to my chair as soon as he saw it and asked for some, I gave him a third of the cake. I had to have my oldest "Take a bite", while making a mean face.  The oldest didn't like it. I asked him why, and he said,"I just don't". I really liked this one. I gave my wife a required bite...she liked it too. Well, with all of the bites it was soon gone. Always a good sign. 

Final Thoughts: The only thing missing from this was the glaze. I'm fairly sure I could make one, if time permitted. I will be waiting for another sale and stocking up on them. When I opened the second MRE, my youngest asked for some more. I broke him another third, and he took the big piece! I hadn't thought of this, but my wife thinks it would be good heated. I'm sure that it would be good.  Anyways, for the weight and calories this is a big win. It is also good for long term storage at 70 degrees F for 5 years as with any MRE.

No comments:

Post a Comment