Monday, July 16, 2012

MRE Monday - Chocolate Chip Cookie

 Today's pick for the MRE Monday was a pretty safe bet. I chose the MRE Chocolate Chip Cookie. They are $1.25 at Emergency Essentials.





Nutritional Information:
Calories:300
Calories from Fat: 140
Total Fat: 16g or 25% Daily Value ( DV )
Saturated Fat: 5g or 25% DV
Trans Fat: 3.5g
Cholesterol: 10mg or 3% DV
Sodium: 170mg or 7% DV
Total Carbohydrates: 36g or 12% DV
Dietary Fiber: 1g or 4% DV
Sugars: 18g
Protein: 3g
Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: 0%
Iron: 8%


Expectations: I was expecting a chocolate chip cookie like Chips Ahoy.



Reality:
Row thought that the chocolate chip cookie was okay. He didn't want another bite, but he really doesn't like desserts. His only comment was that "It tasted different than all the others." He has only had homemade cookies, so I can relate.


Red Ant, our youngest, liked the cookie and ate about half it and proclaimed, "Yeah, I ate it all." A thumbs up, if you ask me.


Sweetheart thought that the cookie was "Alright, I'd eat them." The texture was grittier, but it didn't bother her. She also thought it was full bodied ( this means I'd like to brush my teeth afterwords ). She thought it had a decent chocolate chip flavor. It reminds her of the more organic type alternative ingredient chocolate chip cookies, which she is fine with her.

My thoughts were that it was a bigger version of the Chips Ahoy cookies, which is a good thing for a mass produced cookie. A good teeth scrubbing is in order after eating it though. Also, the cookie inside the package could be beaten to crumbs if a little extra care isn't taken.  I would have liked more chocolate chips, but I really like chocolate.


Final Thoughts:
A good product that is a little pricy for what you get, but it is long term storage. It would also be a welcome relief and a good comfort food on the trail or SHTF scenario.

Stars: * * * * ( 4 )
 

2 comments:

  1. Try this link K...might come in handy with your MRE trials..

    http://www.survivalgearsource.com/mre_recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I had no idea...you get 4 stars for the link! Thanks.

      Delete