Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Antietam National Battlefield

Here is the side trip that we made today....


The boys thought the mud in front of the cannons was way cool!


If you could see the glazed look on their faces as I explained how to aim a cannon


Various cannons from 6 pounders to 12 pounders.


I let them win ;-)
The battlefield is huge!!! 23,000 soldiers were killed, wounded or missing after twelve hours of savage combat on September 17, 1862.

Another battlefield wound was claimed today. Red Ant was walking around the monument (he has his Mom's grace) and tripped while having his hands in his pockets.  He's got a nice fat lip for all of the photo ops in Washington DC tomorrow. 

We are driving to Shady Grove and taking the Metro into DC early in the morning. Smithsonian, Cherry blossoms, National WWII memorial, Vietnam Memorial, and Lincoln Memorial will give us a full day of walking. 

I told Sweetheart that if we go by the White House, she'll be taking a photo of me facing the White House and flipping off Obama (for the Blog of course). I'll be practicing my First Amendment rights.

Keep Right On Prepping - K


6 comments:

  1. Ok so I gots to know. Why did they think the mud was cool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They thought that was where the cannonballs landed. "Wouldn't that be cool?", I guess they figured the cannons didn't get much range. Just sayin'

      Delete
  2. Looks like your guys are having fun!!!! Can't wait for tomorrows picture LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Gosh! Antietam is one place I really want to go visit as well. When I first started bloggin during halloween I did a post about "The ghosts of Antietam" Did you go to Bloody Lane? You know more then 5,000 men alone died on that lane.... I hear it is very humbling, quiet and church like when you visit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we hiked over a bit and drove some too. Bloody Lane was seen from a hilltop. The nearby towns hang yellow flags near the anniversary to symbolize that there is a vacant bed for the wounded.

      Delete