Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Barter Box Ideas

On a previous post, I mentioned a barter box. This box contains items that are readily available,require little space, and somewhat cheap to acquire today. These are some of the items that are currently in our barter box.
  • Chapstick
  • Matches
  • Bic lighters (Bic is the best, trust a 15 year long ex-smoker)
  • Nail clippers (toe clippers can handle both FYI)

Anyways, what are some items that you are storing for trading when the SHTF? I know that there are some cool and innovative ideas out there, so let's hear them.

4 comments:

  1. I am a firm believer in storing salt and coffee myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'd trade salt because I'm not sure if we have enough to spare. Coffee, sorry Charlie.

      Delete
  2. Metal match sticks, P38 style can openers, decent but cheap pocket knives, Toothpaste and toothbrushes. Single pack of medicines like aspirin, neosporin, etc.

    Good idea on the chapstick; hadn't thought of that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. excellent ideas, P38 can openers! I love it, gonna add those to the barter box.

      We do buy the generic aspirin bottles (100 ct.) and can catch them on sale for $1.25 at certain times of the year...we buy those instead of the single packs. We have 5 currently, and will add more when we get homestead property.

      Delete