We also found a great sale on closeout canned pumpkin (expires Dec 2019) from the holiday season.
At 32 cents a can, I bought 24 cans for the pantry to supplement our 16 cans left over from last year's sale.
What do we do with all this pumpkin? Sweetheart makes these honey pumpkin muffins that the boys love.
Honey Pumpkin Muffins
Makes about 12, adapted from Whole Foods
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or white bread flour)
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a second large bowl, combine sugar, oil, honey, milk, pumpkin, egg, and vanilla. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins, filling 3/4 full. Bake until cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from pan to set aside and cool completely.
Keep Right On Prepping - K