Monday, June 11, 2012

MRE Monday - Grilled Seasoned Beef Patty (Caramel Color Added)

Today's taste treat is brought to you by the letter "H". It was purchased for $1.60 at Emergency Essentials.


Nutritional Information:
Calories:190
Calories from Fat:90
Total Fat: 10g or 15% Daily Value (DV)
Saturated Fat: 4.5g or 23% DV
Cholesterol: 65mg or 22% DV
Sodium: 490mg or 20% DV
Total Carbohydrates: 1g or 0% DV
Dietary Fiber: 0g or 0% DV
Sugars: 0g
Protein: 22g
Vitamin A: 0%
Vitamin C: 0%
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 15%

Expectations:
I was expecting a Hungry Man TV Dinner entree type of Hamburger Patty.

Size Comparison

Reality:
The beef patty was well formed and looked like a hoagie patty.
The juice kept the beef patty moist and the grill marks were a nice aesthetic touch. We were having quinoa meatloaf for dinner, so I thought this would be a great time to sample this MRE. Row,the six year old, was the first to sample and proclaimed, "I don't like this." Red Ant with Spikes, the three year old, also tried his with ketchup and said, " Tasted pretty good, I don't want any more." Hummm...conflicting statements. My Sweetheart thought it was okay, "as long as there is something to dip it in." It kinda leaves me to wonder if I didn't have anything else to eat, would the boys eat it? They might with enough hunger and ranch and/or ketchup. I thought that the texture was okay, but if you remember, this MRE was brought to you by the letter "H". The letter "H" stands for High School lunch food. This is probably my best description of this MRE. UPDATE!!!(Note: My wife thought this tasted better worse than the meat in High School).

So the final thought, I would order this again for a couple of reasons. Meat is a hard item to stockpile in a SHFT scenario or backpacking menu. Also, I would probably have at least one meal out of 28 (Note: MRE were designed to be eaten no more than 28 days) to add variety. I would wait for a sale and order five for my family of four.

I've also been thinking that I need to standardize a grading system for the MRE review. Another project and updates are on the drawing board.

Keep Right On - K