Tuesday, October 2, 2012

MRE Monday - Chocolate Banana Nut Muffin Top

 This MRE review is a day late due to the blogger cook off contest.


Nutritional Information:

Serving Size: 2.2 oz.
Calories: 260
Calories from fat: 130
Total Fat: 15g or 23% DV
Cholesterol: 15mg or 5% DV
Sodium: 160mg or 7% DV
Total Carbohydrates: 29g or 10% DV
Dietary Fiber: <1g or 4% DV
Sugars: 15g
Protein: 3g
Vitamin A: 0% DV
Vitamin C: 0% DV
Calcium:  2% DV
Iron: 8%

Expectations:
After doing a few, I expect that it is a disc shaped muffin with chocolate chip chunks, and small pieces of nuts.

  
Realities:

Row, our resident six year old, took his usual small bite for new items, and said that " I like it, but not the nuts." And with that, he was done.

Red Ant with Pincers, our resident three year old, really enjoyed it dipped in ranch. Granted, ranch makes everything better when your three, he said, " I want one for my school". The second muffin top bite got a dip into the ranch. *

Sweetheart thought that, "Definitely the moistest of the desserts that we have tried". She looked into the ingredient list and noted that there wasn't any banana extract which accounted for the strong banana smell that didn't translate into a strong banana taste. She also noted that the walnuts were an above average piece size which made for a good texture contrast. While this MRE wouldn't be her first choice it did offer a "moist, decent texture with an occasional crunch". *

I thought that it had a rich banana taste and a good cocoa flavor. It did taste better than it looked, and the cocoa and banana taste competed for the finishing taste. I was surprised to see the nice sized walnut pieces. *

Final Thoughts:
I made the comment that this dessert was probably the most discussed as to whether it would get a star or not. I was really riding the fence on this MRE. I like my bananas on the firm yellow/green side and really like chocolate. The combo maybe not so much, but did end up giving it my star for the tasting. This would probably end up on the secondary order sheet if money was getting tight.

Stars: * * * ( 3 )

2 comments:

  1. The banana nut chocolate cake things we used to get in MRE's back in the MId to late 80's were my favorite as well. OK I really liked the strawberries when they weren't quite dehydrated to crackers as well.

    ReplyDelete