The dinner was rounded out with loaf garlic bread, sauteed burgundy mushrooms, and a Caesar salad kit. Each person got half a salad kit. There is something about the the taste of a salad out in the woods. They taste so much better.
The filets were 14 oz. monsters. Once again the portable fire grates did an outstanding job. I am going to invest in one of these for the family outings.
Campsite Burgundy Mushrooms
- Start by slicing the mushrooms and place in a skillet with a small amount of butter.
- The mushrooms will "juice up" while they cook.
- Pour about half the juice out of the skillet when the mushrooms reach the halfway point.
- Add about a half cup red wine and another small amount of butter.
- Simmer the mushrooms and reduce the sauce to half. (TIP: Anytime you see reduce- simmer on low boil and it means to cook off the liquid. Instead of a reduction, try a slurry mix of corn starch and water.)
Here is a better picture of the day's work. This was my birthday meal after a hike up into Indian Creek.