Sunday, March 25, 2012

Prepping Part Two - A new Hobby

 This is a continuation of my prepping series.

My brother-in-law and sister have started to take an interest in emergency preparation or prepping. This is what I would tell them.

I am not advocating spending a ridiculous amount of money on preparing. I am instead advocating spending a little time and money now as insurance...just in case. Prepping items should always be an item that you are going to use, otherwise it is wasting money. I actually consider prepping to be a hobby of mine.

I like to backpack, so all of the gear that I do purchase will be used for family camping trips. It just so happens that if an natural disaster destroys our house. If our gear is available, then we will have a place to stay, and more importantly, know how to use it. We will also have alternative ways to cook in case the electricity goes out: a Coleman Stove and a Propane grill.  I currently have about 2 gallons of Coleman fuel and two full 15 pound Propane tanks. I always seem to run out of propane when I just start cooking some BBQ chicken. These two are more than enough to last an above average power outage. I really need to purchase a new water filter and those Berkey water filters sure look nice.

I also like to save money at the grocery store. I use coupons, track the cyclical prices of groceries, and stockpile excellent deals until the next one rolls around. I recently purchased five 14 oz Frenchs mustard for a final price of 39 cents each ( the usual cost is 2.49 ). This should last us well into the summer until the Labor Day Grilling sales roll around. By using this technique, I am preparing for inflation. I'll only find fools to argue that inflation isn't happening. No wonder the Core Inflation Index does NOT include energy or foods prices. Anybody gotten gasoline lately?

I know that I'm not normal and think that grocery shopping is a game. I try to see how much I can buy for the smallest amount of cash. My waist line can testify that we eat good at our house. I'll buy those T-bone steaks that are on sale this week in a minute. Do you see where I'm going? Moderation in your preparations.

 Actually Old Photo of some of my short term food supply. The buckets have rice,beans, and sugar.

Now that I have gotten completely off on a tangent, back to what I would tell them. Start by looking for sales at the grocery store. They already track the prices. Stockpile food that you use, use it, and rotate it. Buy multiple papers for the coupons.  I strongly recommend storing enough water for at least one week. Our family has a water supply that will last us about 3 weeks. This doesn't include the hot water tank that holds 40 gallons. That is 35 gallons for their family ( 2 adults, 2 kids, and a dog --- 1 gallon per day ). Wally world Megamart has a seven gallon container for around $10.

Action Steps:
  • Stockpile water. ( 1 gallon per person per day )
  • Expand food and water supplies for 3 days.
  • Expand food and water supplies for 7 days.
  • Expand food supplies for 2 weeks.
  • Expand food supplies for 1 month.
  • Expand food supplies for 3 months.
  • Use sales and coupons to your advantage!!!
Water and Food. Moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment