Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Meat For The Pantry & A Trip to China-mart

I made a trip to China-mart to do some Christmas shopping and to check out the ammo/gun supply. I had heard that ammo was getting hard to find, so I swung by the sports department, and sure enough, all of the .223 was gone. A lot of the other calibers were also empty, except for the higher priced stuff. The AR15 style weapons were also pulled, I don't know if they were sold out, or voluntarily pulled from the shelves.

I'm always on the look out for new products, especially in the canned meat department. Cheese is also another long term storage problem, but that's another post. If my long time readers recall, I did a MRE Monday on Sloppy Joes (link provided) and it was an 8 oz pouch for $2.75. I found this new product from Hormel called Sandwich makers and it was a 7.5 oz. sloppy joe barbecue sauce with beef tray. They also had two other new products, one was pulled pork, and the other was meatballs in a marina sauce.


It recommends the best buy date of 3-14-14 which is around 15 months. I am really excited to do a review on this entree and to be able to compare it to the MRE. It also costs $1.98, which is a good sized savings compared to the MRE. 



I'll be doing a review soon, but it may be after my oral surgery. I'm having oral surgery on Thursday, so I might be blogging on pain meds...beware. These wisdom teeth need to be taken care of before the end of the year. I don't think things are going to get better, and any elective surgery for the long haul is a good preparation.

Anyone tried these Hormel Sandwich Makers? What do you think of them? The comment line is open...you know what to do.

Keep Right On Prepping - K




3 comments:

  1. I don't know if it was Hormel brand, but before I knew how to cook we used to get bbq pulled pork and it was good. Not as good as mine now but good ☺
    My husband has been watching the price of guns and magazines go up and can't believe what's happening. He went to Chinamart (♥ that) today too and bought some ammo. I'm afraid the shtf November 6th and it's still comin'!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have time, I might make a run to the Sports Shop and check out the ammo there. You'd think we were being invaded with all the ammo being stockpiled. Luckily, I usually pick up a box of ammo every visit to China-mart.

      Delete
  2. Check Georgia Arms. You'll see they are having problems, too.
    If you can't find what you want, watch for gun shows. It will be pricey, but if they have what you want, it may be worth it.
    Some guns are in short supply, too.

    Anyway, I have not tried the meat, but I have tried a few other things in containers like that and not been happy.
    Hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete