Monday, December 3, 2012

MRE Monday - Au Gratin Potatoes



Nutritional Information:

Serving Size: 5 oz.
Calories: 170
Calories from fat: 80
Total Fat: 9g or 14% DV
Cholesterol: 25mg or 8% DV
Sodium: 630mg or 26% DV
Total Carbohydrates: 18g or 6% DV
Dietary Fiber: 1g or 4% DV
Sugars: 1g
Protein: 4g
Vitamin A: 6% DV
Vitamin C: 40% DV
Calcium:  6% DV
Iron: 2%

Expectations:
I was thinking that those Au Gratin Potatoes that come in a box would a good expectation.


Very small sampling tonight for everyone.

Realities:

Tonight we had a total of six people sampling this MRE, so it was literally just a bite or two per person.

Row, the six year old, took his usual cautious bite, then decided that he didn't like it. I would have guessed that he would have liked this one. Looks like I was wrong.

Red Ant, the vocal three year old, doesn't like potatoes in any form except for french fries. I was rather surprised when he said, "Yeah, I like cheese soup. I like the cheese soup." Okay, so it has potatoes in the cheese soup, but he ate it!  He finished the bowl without any further prodding.

Mother-in-law was rather blunt and said that she would eat it anytime. Oh, and there was an "Mmmmmm" before the announcement.

Mimi, or second mother, simply said that "They're good". I asked her if I could quote her and she said yes. I'll take this as a nod of approval. She did ask about why we were reviewing MREs, and I told her it was for backpacking. She also asked about a lot of the food stored downstairs, and I explained stocking up at the grocery store when the price hits a low point in the cycle.

"One of the best", was the high praise that came from my wife. Another star was earned for this side dish.

I only got a small bite, and wished I had had more to sample. The potatoes were firm, and the au gratin potatoes had a full body. The sauce was creamy, with a hint of onion or some other subtle flavor. After looking at the ingredients, garlic powder and onion powder were further down the list, so my taste buds were correct.

Final Thoughts:

I would probably go nuts, if both my boys liked the same dish, but since they are individual pouches it is really a non-issue. That's the beauty of the MREs, we could all have different meals without the fuss.

I'm a meat and potatoes guy, and these really satisfy my taste buds. I was a little surprised that my wife liked them so much, as she usually balks at canned potatoes. I'd say this was high praise. They are on the A list for reorders.

Stars: * * * ( 3 )

4 comments:

  1. I don't ever remember any potato MRE except the patty thing we got sometimes. This must be a newer (Than my time in) addition but sounds good.

    Thanks for the review as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother used to make scalloped potatoes. I never liked them. To this day I don't eat them.
    Based on your post though, I would consider trying them at least once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'd try any food item that is going to be critical in a bad situation.

      Delete