Thursday, April 25, 2013

Manly Stuff For When The SHTF

Once again, I was thinking about the "small things" that would make life a little bit easier nicer when it hits the fan. I figure that fashion will turn towards functionality once again, but fashion has never really been about function...has it? The colors will reflect more of the seasons rather than the walkways of New York, and over-priced apparel will be a long forgotten memory. Once again, hairstyles will be practical, and beards will appear on a majority of men. ( This is where I tie into the post title )  Razors will be a luxury that most will do without, and a good pair of scissors will bring a good rate of return on your investment. With a little planning, you can save money, and have a clean shaven face, both before and after it hits the fan.

In the initial decline, I'll be sporting my newly grown gray, as a way to blend into the crowds. After the Golden Horde withers and dies, the beard can be shaved clean during the summer months. I've had a beard during the summer months, and they are too hot and itchy.

I've used a brush and mug, and it really saves quite a bit of money in the long run. The soap cakes usually lasts about a year, and at 99 cents each, they are a lot cheaper than shaving cream. Isn't this what prepping is partially about? Making things last, and saving money for the long term. One thing that I'll be researching is finding a razor that uses the actual razor blades as a long term solution.



The mugs, brushes, and soap cakes would also make excellent barter items! Currently, razors are fairly cheap, and hard to make, so it is well suited as a barter item. It also takes up little room while being a desirable personal grooming item. It could even possibly be used as a post SHTF business plan. Remember those western movies...they always had a barber shop.

I've also added a few new items to My Amazon store. A reasonably priced mug, shaving brush, and soap cake kit for $9.99. Another item that is often overlooked might be scissors for the mustache. While purchases are appreciated through My Amazon store, please look around for the best possible prices.

Anyone have a SHTF razor that they use?  Comments are always welcomed and encouraged.

Keep Right On Prepping - K

UPDATE: After a bit of research, you might find this article interesting. It is about the art of shaving.

7 comments:

  1. Quite honestly, I gave up shaving years ago. From time to tine I trim up or drop to the muttonchops, but I mainly just let it go (that being said, I do comb and brush, to maintain something more presentable and less 'homeless dude'). In the long game, any thin, straight blade could be pressed into service if kept sharp enough. I suppose it would be worth the time to practice. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like a beard during the cooler months, but still like to shave under the chin and neck area. In the long long game, personal hygiene will suffer a huge setback!

      Delete
  2. You can get the old style safety razor from Merkur (googl it) or old Gillettes and such off of Ebay. Blades are readily procured at Walgrees and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or go really old school and get a straight razor that you sharpen and strop yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll start with the easy stuff first...kinda scared of the straight razor!

      Delete
  4. I used to shave with a straight razor but now that my hands shake like a dog shittin bones I have a beard! stopped by to say Hi! HI! K the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, well that's quite the imagery! I'd grow a beard too, if that was the case. Take care.

      Delete