Monday, April 1, 2013

MRE Monday - Turkey Chili With Beans

Sweetheart got to pick out today's review, and here it is on a Monday evening for April Fool's Day.



Nutritional Information:

Serving Size: 8 oz.
Calories: 180
Calories from fat: 25
Total Fat: 2.5g or 4% DV
Cholesterol: 30mg or 10% DV
Sodium: 480mg or 20% DV
Total Carbohydrates: 34g or 11% DV
Dietary Fiber: 13g or 52% DV
Sugars: 6g
Protein: 17g
Vitamin A: 6% DV
Vitamin C: 0% DV
Calcium:  15% DV
Iron: 90%


Expectations:

Canned chilli with beans would be my guess.



Realities:

Row was the first to sample the chili, and I quote, "Hot,Hot,Hot....I don't like it". This is the second week in a row that we had a kid "spicy" entree.

Red Ant With Pincers, was saying that he didn't like it even before he had a small bite. Sweetheart fed him a bite and he said that "Don't like it".

Mother-in-law was dining with us and she made the comment that it resembled ranch beans. "It doesn't taste like chili, rather like ranch beans." I wasn't sure whether she liked it or not, but she did finish her small sample. The conversation between Sweetheart and MIL did at one point revolve around the fact that the  size and nutritional contents of the package would make for a nice diet food.

Sweetheart, thought that it was heavy on the beans and humorously noted that the packaging should be called Beans With Turkey Chili. She did like the spicy flavor of the chili and said that it was decent. She also didn't hesitate to give it a star and made the final comment that it was "pretty good".

I thought that it had a good texture and the spicy flavor started to kick in around the middle of the chewing process. I'll admit that really spicy food makes me sweat, but this wasn't too spicy. I'd also like to say that I'm not a big fan of chili. Even with both of these considerations, I could see a package getting into my backpack for an extended trip to vary my diet. The nutritional values are really good for an MRE, lots of fiber and the sodium is on the low side.

Final Thoughts:

The Turkey Chili With Beans isn't a bland dish nor a Tabasco spicy hot either, but a nice compromise between the two. The chili does have a lot of beans, so if you prefer your chili without, I would look elsewhere.

Stars: * * ( 2 )

4 comments:

  1. Not much of a chili fan myself either. At least if it's not my own.

    I am also very leery of spicy foods as well. Most everyone's idea of bland is my idea of slightly spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While not over spicy, I'm thinking that you and my boys taste buds are very similar. Any votes for next weeks MRE review?

      Delete
  2. This is a really interesting series! We just wrote a post over on our blog about MRE's and bliss point--seems like your Sweetheart's bliss point is on the mild side. You can read our post here: http://www.unclesamgear.com/2013/04/05/mres-bliss-point/

    I'd do something with the ice creams--love to see if you could make it work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the comment. It's always nice to see a backpacking gear shop take notice of my MRE reviews. I love the Ozark and Boston Mountains, but wish I had more time to get out and enjoy the outdoors. So, does this mean that I'll get a discount if I drop into your shop? You can always email @ unatheo [at] hotmail [dot] com.

      Delete