The Government Shutdown
Well now that we are in to day two of the government shutdown, what are the lessons we can take away from this?
- There's very little you can do when it comes to the government. Yes you can call your congressman, yes you can stick to CNN like it is your lifeline and become more depressed by the hour, yes you can rant on online forums. None of that will do much good.
- This is why you should vote.
- This is also why you should have both a fat and fluffy emergency fund and be debt free.
- And why (especially in this instance if you are a government employee) you should have multiple streams of income.
- Plus this is yet another example of why you can't depend on anyone other than yourself (your job, your income, your government military pension...all shot to hell at the whim of your elected governing officials).
- Although unlikely, if this shutdown goes on for more than a month, you will see civil unrest (are you prepared for such an event?)
tldr; no matter what is happening in in the world at large, YOU are responsible for yourself which is why preparedness is so freaking important. You need to be prepared for anything anyone can throw at you. You need to prepare now.