Tuesday, October 29, 2013

MRE Monday - Southwest Style Beef And Black Beans With Sauce

Sweetheart picked today's MRE. Once again, sorry for the delay, but I was studying for an exam. I managed to score 100% in Radiographic Procedures III class. I had a C before the test, and brought it up to a B. 



Nutritional Information:

Serving Size: 8.0 oz.
Calories: 220
Calories from fat: 70
Total Fat: 8g or 12% DV ( Daily Value )
Cholesterol: 60mg or 20% DV
Sodium: 840mg or 35% DV
Total Carbohydrates: 23g or 8% DV
Dietary Fiber: 6g or 24% DV
Sugars: 4g
Protein: 24g
Vitamin A: 15% DV
Vitamin C: 35% DV
Calcium:  6% DV
Iron: 25%

Expectations:

We really didn't know what to expect, and didn't have any other frame of reference.


Realities:

Row, the seven year old, thought that the beef was good. I asked what he thought and he said, "A 100 thumbs up!" He finished his bowl, so it gets his star for the MRE.


Red Ant with Spikes, the four year old, shook his head no while eating the MRE. I asked him his thoughts and he said that I don't like it. He couldn't explain it with words, but he made it very well known that he didn't like it.

Mother-in-law really enjoyed her sample. "The MRE is spicy without being overly anything. Plus, it would go good with rice."

Sweetheart enjoyed the aroma and "it has a good southwest flavor without being salty. The grill flavor almost crosses the line on too much."

The stew-like MRE had a solid beef, corn, and black bean presence. I would describe it more of a Mexican beef stew, if I hadn't read the package before sampling. The sauce had an excellent body somewhere between a broth and a gravy. The sauce was the main attraction for this MRE for me, and the beef's texture was exactly like a tender brisket. The flavors complimented each other very well.


Final Thoughts:

This MRE is going on the A-list for reordering. Why? Because it got a 100 thumbs up from my seven year old, and  the wife and I would probably hunt through a cache for these entrees.

Stars: * * * (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment