Monday, January 14, 2013

MRE Monday - Kreamsicle Cookie

Today's MRE is a new one available at Emergency Essentials. In my two years of ordering through E.E. , this is the first time that I can recall seeing it. This is another dessert MRE.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of pictures. The camera was running on low batteries, and the lighting was terrible.



Nutritional Information:

Serving Size: 1 cookie is a little over 2 oz.
Calories: 270
Calories from fat: 120
Total Fat: 13g or 20% DV
Cholesterol: 10mg or 3% DV
Sodium: 190mg or 8% DV
Total Carbohydrates: 34g or 11% DV
Dietary Fiber: 0g or 0% DV
Sugars: 18g
Protein: 2g
Vitamin A: 0% DV
Vitamin C: 0% DV
Calcium:  8% DV
Iron: 6%

Expectations:
I haven't been overly impressed with any of the MRE cookies. I have found them hard, and lacking in taste. I did approach this sample with an open mind, as I really didn't have a clue as what was meant by "Kreamsicle".


Realities:
Red Ant with Pincers, who has his fourth birthday this week, took a bite and said that "I like it!".  I even bribed him into finishing his rice with soy sauce to get the rest of my cookie. This is actually a big deal since he is rather stubborn about food. After he got my cookie, he had this big grin on his face and giggled with delight. Sweetheart and I asked him what he liked about it and he said, "It's not spicy and taste yummy!"  One Star.

Row, who has his seventh birthday this week, took his usual small bite, then another. He quickly said, "I like it". I asked him what he thought about it and he gave me the thumbs up. Two stars. I was unable to persuade him to finish his green beans for my cookie though.

Sweetheart thought that it tasted like a orange version of the lemon Girl Scout cookie. She made sure to note that anything compared to a Girl Scout cookie is a good thing. She also added that it had a good citrusy flavor. Three stars.

I took a small bite, and was pleasantly surprised by the excellent flavor and texture. I was hard, but not being the usual tooth breaker like most MRE cookies. I finally nailed the flavor description as "tastes like they put orange sherbert in a cookie" Four Stars.

Final Thoughts:
I had another MRE ready to be published, but bumped this one into it's slot. Each cookie is priced at $1.25, which I think is a fair price considering the four star rating and long term packaging. We are ordering at least 20-30 on our next Emergency Essentials order. If you like Orange Sherbert, then you'll love these cookies.

Stars: * * * * (4)


Keep Right On Prepping - K



No comments:

Post a Comment