Monday, September 23, 2013

MRE Monday - Cornbread

Today's MRE review almost didn't happen, but Sweetheart prodded me into selecting this one for the review. 



Nutritional Information:

Serving Size: 2.5 oz.
Calories: 240
Calories from fat: 80
Total Fat: 9g or 14% DV ( Daily Value )
Cholesterol: 10mg or 3% DV
Sodium: 390mg or 16% DV
Total Carbohydrates: 37g or 12% DV
Dietary Fiber: 1g or 4% DV
Sugars: 13g
Protein: 3g
Vitamin A: 10% DV
Vitamin C: 0% DV
Calcium:  2% DV
Iron: 6%

Expectations:


Jiffy cornbread would be a good nationally recognized brand that would be a good expectation.


Realities:

Row and Red Ant with Spikes took small bites, and both said that they didn't like it. I will point out that neither of them really care for cornbread, and these didn't have any butter on them either. I hope that both my boys develop a taste for it, because as a Southerner, cornbread is almost as important as iced tea. Hopefully we will find a recipe that they enjoy.

Mother-in-Law: "Hmmm...It's similar to Jiffy and has a good texture. It's real good."

Sweetheart first noticed the sweetness in the cornbread, and how moist it was. She thought that it didn't need any butter.

I have a few differing opinions about the cornbread. I don't care for sweet cornbread nor sweet tea, but the MRE cornbread would do in a pinch. It would compliment the potato soup pretty well. I did find it humorous that the cornbread was shaped exactly like all the other breads, desserts, and sandwiches. Do they send the same baking tins to all of the MRE manufacturers? Anyways, I would place the cornbread texture right next to cake. I would also have to disagree with my wife, and all cornbread needs butter. The more the better!!!



Final Thoughts:

If you like sweet cornbread, then I would consider ordering a few for your backpack or your BOB. The cornbread is pretty filling, and at 2.5 ounces, I would categorize it as light and filling. That's a great combination for a pack food. Even though my review leaned towards the negative aspects of the cornbread, I would order and eat it again. Sweetheart placed it on the B-list for ordering, and I went with the A-list. Her reason was because she doesn't eat it much, while I appreciated the weight and fullness factors.

Stars: * * (2)

8 comments:

  1. You lost the high ground on this post. I think it is some low level sin to invoke Southern tradition about the boys not liking cornbread and then in the next paragraph admitting you don't like sweet tea. Seems like a double standard there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that I would take a few hits about that comment. In my defense, I'm an Air Force brat, and never acquired the taste for sweet tea. ;-)

      Delete
  2. A lot of the cornbread mixes are way too sweet, I like the corn taste more than the sweetness, cook mine in cast iron. It is real good with chili or soups. Jiffy is good because it is quick and cheap but is over processed when compared to stone ground corn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://planningandforesight.blogspot.com/2012/07/proper-southern-cornbread.html

      Here is my convenient cornbread post...Martha White does a good packaged mix.

      Delete
  3. Good grief man, sugar is for tea and NOT for cornbread. Sweet cornbread is for Yankeys only. Although I once met a man who grew up in Iowa right in the heart of corn country and he said nobody in that area ate cornbread! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about a controversial post! I'll stand my ground no sugar in the tea or cornbread for me. I'd rather use my sugar calories for more butter on the cornbread...just sayin'

      Delete
  4. I'm from the sandy-unsweet-cornbread with lots of cold butter faction. (spent many years in the southeast US, Army brat) Despite that, this sounds good enough that I'd eat it ahead of some of the other MRE carb offerings as a combo side and dessert. Thanks for another great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, the reviews can help you determine the winners from the losers. Glad to help out.

      Delete