Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ammunition Update

In my neck of the woods, it seems that the ammunition shortage has eased up a bit. While 22LR is still unavailable at my local stores, at a reasonable price, most other ammo can be found with a little hunting. I noticed shotgun ammo was available throughout the shortage, but the usual amounts on the shelves was gradually decreasing during the whole "crisis". I'm beginning to wonder if the cost of the other ammo had eaten into the shotgun category for purchasing??? Either that or the amounts available had also taken a hit.



The online retailers are also more reliable in their selection and prices. The prices have started to drift downward, but not to previous levels. I'm not quite sure if we will ever see pre-shortage prices again. Hopefully. I've also noticed that the major players in retail have stopped advertising ammo prices, which is understandable. A good indication that the shortage is over will be the beginning of advertising for ammo again.

Magazines have become plentiful for my weapons, and in a few cases cheaper. Supply and demand at work. Curious that the people complaining about the high prices in the beginning aren't being vocal about the price drop. They should be lined up to pay the full retail, if I was supreme ruler of the universe. I was actually ahead of the curve on magazines, but still need to purchase the magazines for the guns that I'll be buying in the future. You can guarantee that the PTB haven't forgotten about their failed attempt to ban them. There will be new legislation in the future, they're just licking their wounds right now.

While I had a good stash of ammo, I didn't have enough to continue training during this time frame. This means that I didn't have enough (period) I'll be bumping up the amounts as money allows.



The only thing that I really haven't tracked is primer, leads, and brass. How is the reloading supplies in your area? By the way, my region is the South.

Comments are welcomed and encouraged.



8 comments:

  1. Not a clue here at the moment. Once Honey and Garden season begins I pack all the reloading stuff up and usually don't mess with it again until October. I did get some more lead though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might head out on an ammo/reloading excursion while I'm off between semesters.

      Delete
  2. Still short on all reloading supplies at any local outlets. Ammo is slowly coming back but no bulk packages. Definitely seeing a better supply of rifles on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I forgot to mention the rifles. Prices are returning to above norms, and the people that bought at ridiculous prices have a pretty bad hangover!!! Selection has also greatly improved in my world too.

      Delete
  3. Senior and i get the updates from Midway, so when those email alerts hit we both jump on and order. The other day he was on his cell phone and I on the PC, and each of us ordered a box of 500 rounds of .22

    not sure about re-loading stuff. Like PP, once the fall hits, then Senior is back at it. Right now he is working cutting grass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are adequate quantities of reloading supplies at our general store. Walmart has had no ammunition, other than 3 boxes or so when a truck comes in, for months now. I got out a Cheaper than Dirt Catalog from Dec last night and compared it to the new one that just came. The same case of .223 ammo that was right around $300 in December 2012 is now listing at just under $1000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry- Thanks for the update on prices. I'm having to rely on my memory and old stickers on my ammo to keep track of the prices. CTD will never get another dollar from my wallet - some of the price increases were on the verge of ridiculous. I'm all for free market, which is why I didn't buy. I'll just have to wait for the prices to become more reasonable.

      Delete