Monday, July 29, 2013

MRE Monday - Chicken Fajita

This is part two of the MRE Mexican dinner review.





Nutritional Information:

Seasoned Chicken breast with rib meat (chopped and formed) with peppers and onions

Serving Size: 8 oz.
Calories: 160
Calories from fat: 30
Total Fat: 3.5g or 5% DV ( Daily Value )
Cholesterol: 50mg or 17% DV
Sodium: 980mg or 41% DV
Total Carbohydrates: 11g or 4% DV
Dietary Fiber: 1g or 4% DV
Sugars: 3g
Protein: 19g
Vitamin A: 8% DV
Vitamin C: 10% DV
Calcium:  0% DV
Iron: 2%

Expectations:

We had already tried this entree, but needed to do it again for the blog and kids.


Realities:

Row, the seven year old, liked the chunks of meat and little else. He did eat several bites, so it got his seal of approval.

Ant,the four year old, already had his mind made up before he took a bite, and it was that he didn't like it. This is a running theme with him and MREs, and I'm not sure on how to remedy it.

Sweetheart, the super taster, noted that this would be another MRE that would go great over rice. I would have to agree. She liked it

I thought that the meal was mediocre by itself, but had real possibilities once paired with other MREs. I didn't like the fact it had a more of a soup consistency, but I was able to fish out enough substance to make some fajitas with the tortillas. 

Final Thoughts:

A couple of these and some rice would take care of a hungry crew with little prep. The boiling water for the rice wouldn't take long, and it probably wouldn't give your location away. A lot of the comments were done from memory, since the family room is a disaster because of painting. I'll flush out the comments once I find the index card with all of the notes.

Stars: * * * (3)

1 comment:

  1. I keep a couple of cases of MRE, more because everybody else does than for any other reason. They cost about $60.00 for 12 meals in most of my catalogs, and I can get a lot more food than that at Walmart or Grocery Outlet for $60.00. If there were the possibility that I might have to bug out, I'd look with more interest at MRE, but since we plan to stick it out here two cases will do me.

    ReplyDelete